How do I join?
Just pop into the library and you’ll be a member in a few minutes. It’s free and there’s no form-filling or ID needed. Children of any age can join and they don’t need parental permission or to have a parent or guardian present.
You can also join online here.
As a library member you’ll be able to borrow adult and junior fiction and non-fiction titles, large print editions, audiobooks on CD and movies on DVD.
What’s ON offer?
- Fiction and non-fiction books, including large print editions with new titles arriving every week.
- Access to NYCC county library stock and reservations.
- Access to online library resources, reference works, e-magazines and e-newspapers.
- Audio books (also available as free downloads from the county’s collection).
- Movies on DVD.
- Books for the very young, juniors and teens.
- Public access computers (first 30 minutes free).
- Printing, scanning and photocopying (small fee).
- Home Library and Information Service – books delivered to your door if you’re housebound.
- Free wi-fi.
- Community and health information.
Simply by using the library regularly you’ll be helping to keep a thriving community resource in the town.
What does it cost?
A North Yorkshire library card is free. Borrowing books is also free though there are the usual library charges for overdue items etc.
You will pay a small hire fee (£2.25 per item) for borrowing movies on DVD and audio books on CD. If you’re a regular user of our public computers or a regular borrower of DVD movies or audiobooks, you might save money by buying an internet or media subscription at £20 for 6 months or £35 for a year. Please ask at the desk.
For item requests and reservations the fee is £1 for each item.
The fees that we collect from our members go directly to support the upkeep of the community library – a registered charity.
How many items can I borrow at a time?
You can borrow up to ten items and the standard loan period is three weeks. If you have trouble getting to the library to renew loans you can either ring us during our opening hours on 01609 534584, or access your account online here.
Where are you?
We’re close to the Market Place, just behind The Commercial pub. You’ll find information about visiting the library here.