How do I join?
Just pop into the library and you’ll have a North Yorkshire library card in a few minutes. It’s free and there’s no form-filling or ID needed.
You can also join online here.
Children of any age can join. You’ll find more details about joining the kid’s library gang here.
What’s ON offer?
- Fiction and non-fiction books, including large print editions, with new titles arriving every week.
- Access to North Yorkshire county library stock and reservations.
- Online library resources, reference works, e-magazines and e-newspapers.
- Audio books (also available as free downloads from the county’s collection).
- Movies on DVD.
- Books for the very young and juniors.
- Books for teenagers and young adults.
- Public access computers (first hour free).
- Printing, scanning and photocopying.
- Home Library and Information Service – books delivered free to your door if you’re housebound.
- Free wi-fi.
- Local and regional newspapers.
- Community and health information.
Teenagers & Young Adults
Books for teenagers and young adults are shelved with the general adult fiction collection. They’re marked by an orange dot at the foot of their spines and are very easy to pick out.
What does it cost?
A North Yorkshire library card costs nothing. Borrowing books is also free, though there are the usual library fees for any overdue items.
There’s a small fee for borrowing an audio-visual item – £2.25 for a Movie DVD and £2.50 for an audio book on CD.
Tip: if you’re a regular user of our public computers or a regular borrower of DVD movies or audiobooks, you might save money by buying an internet or media subscription at £20 for 6 months or £35 for a year. Please ask at the desk.
For item requests and reservations the fee is £1 for each item.
The fees we collect go directly to support the upkeep of the community library – a registered charity.
You’ll find full details of North Yorkshire library fees and charges here.
How many items can I borrow at a time?
You can borrow up to 30 items (20 items for juniors) at a time. The standard loan period is three weeks. If you have trouble getting to the library to renew loans you can either ring us during our opening hours on 01609 534584, or renew loans online here.